Spring has sprung. Another terrorist attack in the world, bans on flying from the middle east, will Obamacare survive? So many riveting issues.
And the Team is here to bring you the best in health and what is news!
Here is some of what we have been learning:
- 86% of people 18 and over have consumed alcohol at some point in their lives and research has found that even moderate alcohol consumption may increase one cardiac disease risk.
- While white wine may raise the chances of your having melanoma. Alcohol increases risk for this and white wine increases it 13%-- due to the acetaldehyde in white wine.
- Try red wine if you must drink, as it contains anti-oxidants.
- At last measure, over 66,000 kids go to the emergency room (age 1-3) from faulty nursery products. Beware and read up on what you are buying!
- Mumps is increasing!
- ADHD actually shows up on brain scans with five areas of the brain being smaller in volume. There are real brain variations with this neurological disease. Don't poo poo it!
- Postpartum depression has dropped 5% or so in 8 years. Reasons include that three times the rate of antidepressants are given, there are fewer preterm births which caused stress. Check and be aware of what you treatments you may get at the hospital because some which induce labor etc., can cause postpartum depression. We are not docs! Check with your healthcare professional!
- Four eight ounce brewed cups of coffee is the recommended maximum for people to have of caffeine these days. Organic coffee is preferable otherwise you may be getting pesticides which cause disease. Don’t use it if you get jittery-check with your doctor. Also if you are dragging and need coffee, there may be another underlying issue going on-thyroid, etc.. doc is best in that case too!
- Two-thirds of men who had a depression AND who were also on a Mediterranean diet which included three tablespoons of olive oil daily, reduced their depression over a three months time frame.
- A 2012 study indicated that a diet with high salt, not enough nuts and seeds, a high intake of processed foods and a low intake of omega 3’s from seafood, was related to a 45.5% increase in the number of deaths from heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes and stroke. We want to highlight that death can be avoidable with diet and exercise!
- A new study of seniors, showed that people on Medicare were just as likely to die within thirty days of hospital discharge as those who had spent less on tests, scans, etc..
- 75% of physicians have no training on treating transgender patients. A recent Grand Rounds about minors who are opting for transgender surgery did not ask the question of whether professionals thought minors should be able to choose a permanent surgery for themselves then or when more maturity set in such as at a later stage in life. What do you think!?
- People in Canada live ten years longer than those in the U.S. who have Cystic Fibrosis. There, they are on a high fat diet!
- Millenials beware. The rates of colon and rectal cancer are increasing every year it seems: 3% each year for 20-30 year olds and 2% a year for 40—50 year olds.
- Did you know that avocado pits are edible and that you can grind them up in a blender and then add teaspoons to smoothies for an increase in anti-oxidants and mono-saturated fats!
- Teens who use synthetic marijuana are at higher risk for injuries, risky drugs, behaving violently and high risk sex. Beware and be in touch with your teens!
Information is power. With it we can choose!
Choose to win!Read More